A Rail with TRAIL through the beautiful Wallowa Valley
The Joseph Branch Community Rail with Trail will traverse 6 miles in Phase One through the Wallowa Valley, connecting the Northeast Oregon communities of Joseph and Enterprise in Wallowa County. The railway grade is gradual and will provide recreational opportunities for walkers, hikers, runners, bicyclists, and horseback riders. The route has beautiful views of the Wallowa Mountains and follows the path of the Wallowa River in many parts. When completed, the rail with trail will be 63 miles in length and connect the communities of Joseph, Enterprise, Lostine, and Wallowa in the Wallowa Valley and enter Union County to Elgin.
The Joseph Branch Community Rail with Trail will:
- Improve transportation safety and walk/bike-ability in our community
- Connect the communities of Joseph and Enterprise, Oregon in Phase One (and eventually all communities in the Wallowa Valley)
- Provide recreational opportunities including biking, hiking and horseback riding
- Connect the Nez Perce National Historic Trail with the Homeland Project (Wallowa Band Nez Perce Trail Interpretive Center) in Wallowa, OR
- Connect to ODOT's Wallowa Lake Pedestrian/Bike Trail and the Enterprise Wildlife Refuge & Fish Hatchery
- Promote economic development in the region
Have questions? Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.